Search This Blog

Friday, January 20, 2012

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. or G.T.F.O.

When I was in the second grade my teacher, Mrs. Fauzy (Mrs Fuzzy behind her back) called my parents into a meeting to complain about how I was treating her. She told my father that I was to immediately cease from saying "Yes Ma'am" or "No Ma'am," as it made her feel "old." For what it's worth, she was old, but that is not the point. My father explained...very emphatically...to Mrs Fauzy that I had been taught to show respect by saying "Yes Ma'am" and "Yes Sir" and that I would continue to do so, regardless of what a teacher might expect. A letter to the school principal backed that statement up, and I really didn't care much for second grade after that.


I'm in my fifties now (I know...it's hard to believe), but that sense of respect still remains. I'm not so offended by the biting satire in some to the political posts that show up daily on Facebook. After all, find a candidate who DOESN'T have something to take a shot at. Our previous president made some of the most inane statements ever recorded in the White House. If I ever slaughter the English language that badly, my wife will have the comment printed on a T-shirt.

It's not the satire that bothers me. It's not even the mean-spirited attacks where an attack may be due. It's the total lack of respect for the office that is demonstrated by those who post, and those who respond. Not only is it destructive in this country, but it just adds fuel to the anti-American fire that burns around the world.

And let's face it...that fire doesn't really need any more fuel. We may be one of the greatest nations on the planet, but we still collectively do things that make us look dumber than the fans at a monster truck rally. We would love to be known for our humanitarian aid and constitutional freedom. Instead we are known for The Jersey Shore, TSA and soldiers urinating on dead Taliban fighters.

An old photo is circulating around Facebook of President Obama standing with his hands folded in the "fig leaf" position while everyone else on stage has their hand over their heart during the singing of the National Anthem. I'm not going to defend the President's actions. Granted, few people still do the hand-over-heart thing while singing (Google any sporting event and watch the crowd). And there are dozens of photos of the President WITH hand over heart. But President Obama is a politician, and as such, should know better. You always sample whatever the local cuisine throws at you...you always kiss the baby, no matter how ugly...and you always look patriotic, even if Rosanne Barr is singing. (I did watch the actual video, and to be honest, the way that singer was screeching out the words, I too would have been tempted to cover my crotch or my ears BEFORE covering my heart).

No, the President's actions deserve comment and criticism. But he is still the President of the United states, and those comments need to reflect that. Use the titles of President or Mr. Lose the cute slang pronunciations of the President's name. Stop showing your complete ignorance by using racial slurs. I get that you didn't vote for him, and you won't vote for him again. We all know that YOUR GUY would have already fixed the economy, saved the environment, created so many jobs we would have to import workers (thereby solving the immigration problems), and we would be drilling for oil in all the national parks. But until the next election, Barack Obama is still the President.

So if you post some political tirade to Facebook, fine. I'll look at it, and I may even hit the "like" button. But show the office the RESPECT deserved, regardless of the man. If not, don't be surprised to get a response from me tell in you to...as they would say in King James English...Get Thy Facebook in Order (What did you think the title of this blog meant?)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such disrespect for Monster Truck fans. I'm offended. But seriously, good rant.
    Peace, brother.
    James Newby

    ReplyDelete