Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

God Rest Me Merry

I will always remember the first time I noticed the comma in the old Christmas carol God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. For years I had pondered the question "who were these gentlemen, and why were they so merry?" Perhaps what they needed rest from was all that merriment.


Then, a few years ago, someone burst my bubble of ignorance, and pointed out that this was a blessing...very much like "God be with you." I don't know about you, but this time of year I could use some rest. Especially the kind of rest that only comes from God.

Ruth Bell Graham captured this desire beautifully in a short poem she penned many years ago. This poem has become my prayer for the season (and the rest of the year as well), and I think you might find yourself offering up the same prayer. She wrote;

God rest you merry, gentlemen...
and in these pressured days
I, too, would seek to be so blessed
by Him, who still conveys
His merriment, along with rest.
So I would beg, on tired knees,
God rest me merry, please...


May you have a merry, and restful Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment